Cesc Fábregas back in training but doubts over Arsenal future remain

Wednesday, August 3, 2011
Share this article on :

Cesc Fábregas has had to sit out Arsenal's pre-season fixtures so far as he continues his recovery from a hamstring injury. Photograph: Ian Kington/AFP/Getty Images

Cesc Fábregas is back in training with Arsenal as he steps up his recovery from the hamstring injury that has kept him out of the club's pre-season fixtures but his future in north London remains in some doubt.

Arsenal's next friendly is against Benfica on Saturday, yet it is unclear whether Fábregas will fly out with Arsène Wenger's squad on Friday. The Catalan's lack of match action may mean that Wenger decides he should continue his rehabilitation at the club's London Colney training base.

Fábregas wants to move to Barcelona, with his boyhood team interested in the 24-year-old rejoining them after he departed for Arsenal in 2003, although Wenger repeatedly suggested during last weekend's Emirates Cup that Fábregas could recommit to Arsenal. Fábregas will take part in Thursday's official club photo-shoot.

Carl Jenkinson has vowed to challenge Bacary Sagna for the right-back's first-team starting berth. The 19-year-old, who signed this summer from Charlton Athletic, said: "I'd like to think I'm quite an ambitious person so I want to get into that starting XI and I want to stake my claim to be a first-team regular. It's up to me to work hard and impress whenever I can.

"Obviously there are going to be opportunities in pre-season, and in training every day so I'm looking forward to working hard and doing as well as I can in an Arsenal shirt. Bac's a really nice guy, very friendly and I'm sure it will be good for us both – him to be pushing me and me pushing him. It's always healthy in a team environment to have that competition, and hopefully we can bring the best out of each other."

Arsenal's young centre-back Kyle Bartyley has signed a two-year contract extension that will keep him at the club until 2014.

The 20-year-old FA Youth Cup-winner made a combined 32 senior appearances on loan at Rangers and Sheffield United last season but to date has played only once for Arsenal's first team, in a Champions League tie with Olympiakos in 2009.

"If I'm honest, I don't think I was anywhere near the level to play for Arsenal last season," he told the club's website. "But I've come back, I feel really strong and I feel that I am ready now. I am a little bit different to the other centre-backs.

"I like the physical side of the game and I see myself as a leader. If Arsène decides that he wants me in the first team then that will be fantastic."

Source : www.guardian.co.uk

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
News In The World | Get All Hot and Unique News © 2011 | Designed by Interline Cruises, in collaboration with Interline Discounts, Travel Tips and Movie Tickets